Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hellboy: Seeds of Destruction

I saw the movie first, and got curious about Mike Mignola. Unlike my experience with Sandman, I'm dissapointed with Seeds. I don't knock the art, but it wasn't my style to begin with. Really bare and blocky- very dark that I couldn't tell what action was going on.

Seeds is what the Hellboy movie was adapted from, but there are many many differences. In fact, other than the Sorcerer and Hellboy- there is no resemblence. The story is extremely brief and fast paced to the point of leaving the reader behind without apology. It would be better if a person could come to the graphic novels without having seen the movie, or at least warned that there is only the most tenuous reltaionship between the two. So my review is colored by that glaring aspect.

I thought about picking up more of the books later to see if there was a difference in writing or style but I simply haven't found the interest like I have in the old X-Men comics and Sandman.

Really the cutest thing about this book are the illustrations of young Hellboy and pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment