Thursday, January 21, 2010

Stack o Books This High to Knock You Over

After I finished to Light a Candle, I had to blitz to finish Dreamfall by Joan D. Vinge. I was so engrossed by it I didn't have a problem. I wisely picked up Psion as well, the prequel to Catspaw and Dreamfall. It at least gave me a better idea of the actual events to Cat's past than what I first discovered when I read Catspaw (which I very much recommend to anyone that lover cyberpunk fantasy or simply hardluck stories).

Very short book, and I have to agree with an amazon.com review of Psion that says "The biggest problem is the overall shallowness, or even triteness, of everthing: theme, plot, and character development." It was meant to be a short story, and it was a lot of ground to cover in so few pages, so I can forgive it even if the author of the review could not. I recommened it in order to more fully flesh out Cat's story.

Catspaw in a nutshell, blows Psion out of the water as it is a full fledged novel. Not for kiddies either as we have adult situations (who am I kidding, this series is for teen+ for language and sensuality) and quite a bit of graphic violence/drug use. I have loved this paperback to death so much I refuse to review it.

Dreamfall makes what in my mind was impossible, reality. That Joan made a sequel to Catspaw that trumped the plot and Cat character to take the house prize. I fully expect to Cat remain cynical and juvenile as ever. I was happily dissapointed to see him grow and expand to fill his character shoes without cliche. I praise Joan for coming up with this original and endearing character for us to suffer with and hope for. Not only that, but to tackle interstellar politics and racism is not the safest material to dance with either. The topics are handled with grace and are included in the story to suspend disbelief and add to the world of the future we look upon. There is no overpowering statement or activism overlaid with the bare bones of story.

As soon as I'm able, I'll add this to my library. A+!

I have Alta waiting for me, and I've just started First Rider's Call.
Almost done with the Essential Uncanny X-Men. I'll complain about my findings in that regard later.

No comments:

Post a Comment