Thursday, January 21, 2010

Post Recovery:1c

Been on a reading streak myself lately. After I finally finshed the Great Hunt (Robert Jordan, A-rate stuff for originality and character depth) I realized that the library books I had put on reserve were about to come due and needed to be picked up. So I picked them up and read a young adult novel (Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen- C rate for good premise but really slow pacing) for purposes of compare and contrast with another like themed book (Joust by Mercedes Lackey- A rate although it is in a different category of reading than WoT).

It wasn't as easy to get engrossed with after the rich detail and adventure in GH. I was happy to continue to book 3 of the Wheel of Time, Dragon Reborn. I like the series so far, so much better than Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth (More like Swory of Imitation and Poor Mockery), I refuse to rate such blatant plagarism. However the first three or five chapters I have to force myself past with a will in order to go at any smooth pace. I suppose after reading the large amount of fantasy I have lately, a lot of the beginning chapters sound the same at first.
This results in a read taking three days as oppoosed to one and a half or two, highly annoying. I'll spare the space here from any real review- for now.

Three days though, and I look online- I have returned only one book this past week and a half, and another five are in posession, two of which are close to being overdue. Thank god for their account renew button.

I had let my husband que up a couple books he had recommeneded from when he was a kid, since I'm currently obsessed with making a list for my elementary school nephews to grow on and read. Mike Laumer's Plague of Demons, a short scifi story. Now, crucify me if you wish-but something fantastically outrageous and enthralling was produced in 1965 and hasn't been mangled by Hollywood yet.

Crap like War of the Worlds (multiple times!) and Signs get made, and this slips through the cracks. Seriously, I think it is wild that this was penned in the Silver Ages of comics, it really helps define the era. It's a B+ pick, since it has to do with aliens, cybernetics, and brain snatching. Very thrilling.

I was going to contnue with my alteration of WoT, but I want to get those library book knocked out. So today's pulp is Patricia McKillip's Riddle Master trilogy. God most teen literature sucks, no wonder more poeple don't read for leisure as adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment