Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wandering Thoughts, Treasure of Books

We went to go get Crown of Swords last night, and I was bummed that the Target didn't have the new Foo Fighters album. I was shocked and delighted-it was probably nine years ago when my mother introduced me to an author, along the bent of Tolkien but different. I got to read one book and couldn't get anymore since it was a small library and not as resourced as it is now. I saw the name, and the title and I got this huge thrill. Ever since I read Riddle-Master, it reminded me of those days and I had been trying for so long to track down the books even though I only barely remembered plot and the vaguest titles.

Dennis L. McKiernan and his Iron Tower trilogy. I got to read Dark Tide, and my bumbling attempts at research turned up RA Salvatore's Crimson Shadow Book - Sword of Bedwyr. I feel mostly happy for tying up a loose end of my childhood that has haunted me for so long. Too stubborn for my own good I Suppose.

I think I only have one other book to track down that was as vague as this one- a children's book heavily illustrated in an ornate style and grotesque as if Tim Burton had rewritten the Little Mermaid. It was facinating, people under the sea, a man taken to the sea king's court for his daughter. Facinating all the details of sea hags, decapitated heads talking, the sort of horrible art that a child can fear and pour over from interest alone. I mistakenly thought it was the Sea King's Daughter- but it wasn't the right story or illustrator.

I was that horrible child that when looking for things in the library when I was small, would describe things by their covoer art. Frustrating. Like the time I was trying to find a particular book again on Grecian Gods and Goddesses, Mythology. Doesn't help Amazon doensn't have pictures for all of its listings. Thank God for BooksAMillion. The MacMillan Book of Greek Gods and Heroes

Which reminds me of this lovely set of Grecian Mythology monsters that the library back home got shortly before I left full of stories, variations, and history.. need to find those. Had art and artifacts. On the Furies and Charybdis and such. ah! found them! Bernard Evslin's Monsters of Mythology. Great stuff for middle schoolers. Good reference too for quick reports when you're stuck with Homer.

Wandering-
Oh I remember this book. I wish Egyptology wouldn't get dulled up by lots of discussion of all the dirt they had to dig up and more about the tombs and their relics.. *sighs* Beauty and the Beast was a favorite... which the TV series needs to be on DVD!! *hint hint* Oh, I had no idea Winter Rose was by McKillip too! I read that long long ago, now I feel odd that I didn't/couln't bring that up to my husband when I didn't know who she was. lol.
I need to get back to my reviews now before I'm hopelessly off track!

No comments:

Post a Comment