Thursday, January 21, 2010

To Light a Candle

Earlier this year I picked up the paperback of the Outstretched Shadow on impulse. I was still working at Wal-Mart and didn't have as much time on my hands as I do now, but I had the itch of needing to expand my brain beyond the dullness. I didn't immediately launch into the book, it wasn't very different at first from any other juvenile hero fantasy. Until I noticed the emphasis on the character's emotional state of mind.

I have a complaint about generic fiction. Too many people paint teenagers as serious young capable adults with just enough moodiness to paint them being immature. It lacks the genuine flavor though. I have found the standard in this book. Reluctant but desperate hero? I think most fantasy readers could easily identify with Kellen Travadon. I finished the book in less than three days after I hit the fifth chapter.

I have found that To Light a Candle has not lost the flavor that brought enjoyment to the Outstretched Shadow. I'll post a full review as soon as I'm done, which should be soon since a lot of these library books are due next weekend and I'd rather drop them all off on my way to the office on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment